Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Lairs and Lizards

This week's strip looks a little weird.  Aside from the hand-drawn part, that is.  That's because I was working on it during my short trip to Anna Maria Island, and condensation from my beer bottle plopped down on it.  Some of the coloring was done with watercolor paint, so... yeah.  I had to do some clean-up in Photoshop, and had to black out considerably more than I had intended.  I'm sure there was a way to fix it without having to do that, but my skillz are beyond rusty.
But I kind of like the way it turned out, and I figure it can only get better from here.

Speaking of trips, I just got back from Bryce Canyon, Utah, and also Las Vegas.  I'd like to go into detail about them here, particularly about Bryce Canyon, but I just can't do it any justice by describing it to you.  It boils down to my going on and on about rocks, and doesn't sound nearly as exciting or wonderful as it truly was.
Vegas was cool, too.  It was my first time there.  Two things about it, though;  one is: you know that saying that goes "the food and drinks are cheap in Vegas because they want you to spend your money gambling?" Not true in the slightest.  The truth is they want you to spend your money gambling, and they also want you to pay fifteen dollars for a margarita and twenty-two dollars for spaghetti.  The second is:  Vegas is the last place on Earth you want to go to if you're already broke. 
Nevertheless, my dad and I had an awesome time, and I'm sad that we already had to say our goodbyes and go back to our corners of the country.

Halloween looks to be a bust again this year.  Our plans to party fell through, which ought to be great fun explaining to my four-year-old who has been anticipating it for most of the year.  There's a chance that I might be able to get out of work and join some others at Disney's Not-So-Scary event (because when I think Halloween, I think the Magic Kingdom, and nothing says fun like shoulder-to-shoulder crowds brimming with sugared-up toddlers), but dammit, I had better get to do something... we've already blown a small fortune on our outfits.
Holidays in general tend to be a bust down here in Florida.  This could have something to do with the fact that when you work for The Rat, you tend to work all holidays, and may also pertain to the fact most of my family and all of my friends are a thousand miles away.

I had better stop now, before this turns into a real blog.

Just one more thing.  If you could find it in your hearts to keep my Papa in your thoughts, I and my family would much appreciate it.  Thanks.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment