Saturday, May 11, 2013

The Walters Files: SuperDude



When creating the characters for the Super U.-niverse, SuperDude was the easiest pick for the president of the university.  Obviously he's the biggest knock-off character I use, and I like to think he's symbolic of my feelings on the DC Universe.  
His hair is based off of that laughable era when Superman was "ElectroSuperman", and he was rocking that mullet.  When I made SuperDude, and I put the mullet on him, the idea of the surfer / former amateur pro-wrestler thing came to mind, and the character was born.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, Electro Superman with the mullet is what I was thinking too. What are your thoughts on the DC Universe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing up I was never a DC guy. Always a Marvel guy. DC, way more than Marvel, seldom updates their character's names and outfits with the times, and so to me their characters look outdated and silly. But more than that, I've always had a problem with the sheer power the characters of DC possess. Practically every major superhero in DC is a demigod, and one of the few who's not, Batman, is tougher than all of them. Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, etc... could all easily destroy the planet if they felt like it. Compare that to Woverine, who is one of Marvel's toughest heroes.

    A good story involves a hero overcoming the odds. But in DC, the odds are always in the hero's favor. To me, you can't write a good story for a character that has few or no flaws and is virtually unstoppable. The villains should come off that way, not the heroes. A real victory is when the X-Men take down Magneto; not really as exciting when Superman takes down Lex Luthor.
    Marvel gets flack sometimes for being too "soap-opera-y," but I'll take that any day over DC. The character drama that Marvel characters experience makes them more human. We can relate to Spider-Man on a very personal level, but nobody can relate to Superman. Even Superman's "human" qualities are false.

    ReplyDelete