Thursday, August 29, 2013

Dynasty: Part 3



There's only 3 DAYS LEFT to vote on Super U. in the TWC100!  We're sitting at number 808 now, which is actually worse than last time I checked.  That being said, I had some good numbers coming back from Facebook this week, so I know you guys are out there helping me out, and that means a lot to me.

On Tuesday I went on a mini-rant about my lack of sales.  Looking back, I was probably coming off like a dick, and I want to apologize.  I want to clarify that I don't expect everyone I personally know to buy things, or anyone I personally know, for that matter.  A few of you have, and for that I am humbled and extremely grateful.  I DO want you to read my comics, and I DO want you to share them with your friends, but I'm not after your money.

My actual gripe is that, despite all my efforts thus far, I still haven't been able to branch out beyond my small circle of readers.  I want to build an audience, and it's that audience I want to sell things to.  
I don't expect to make a lot of money off of Super U., but I do dream of a day when it can be a supplemental income for my family.  I have no other major skills beyond drawing and sometimes writing; this is what I know, and what I'm good at.  The way I see it, this comic is the only chance I'll ever have to make something of myself.  I'm virtually unhireable doing anything else.

If I could go back in time and talk to Little Matt, I would tell him to never draw again.  I would tell him he isn't as smart or as talented as people say he is, and that he should pursue an interest in a stable career path.  But I can't do that.  It's too late for me.  I have to do art.

I'm pretty sure there's only 1 or 2 more of the "Dynasty" strips before things resume as normal.  What have you guys thought so far?  I'd love to hear some feedback.

4 comments:

  1. The story is interesting and has great potential as a secondary plot line in your strip. Your drawing skills have improved, and the line quality is better. Great use of color and your character poses are believable. Do you write out several strips in advance, or do you have each strip written from week to week? Keep at it. Getting votes may be important now, but keep improving your skills and soon you will have a solid portfolio to show to potential clients or employers. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Greg! While I don't have any plans to do much more with the siblings in ancient China, I am looking forward to flashing back in different places and points in time. I have a lot of cool ideas for Aiden and what he got up to in the past.
    I write in different ways. I have lots of strip ideas in my head, and I just try to find ways to string them together. For this story, I just did a sequence of tiny thumbnails. I almost never write any dialogue until after the strip is completely drawn, because it often has to change to fit into the panels around the artwork.
    Thanks for reading, buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely like the break in action to this flashback! Cool to see all these guys in a new setting, plus I agree with Greg, the art is looking more and more sharp. The colors as well are becoming more intricate and add depth. Very much looking forward to chapter 3!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, buddy. While I still want to get quicker at drawing these, I'm going to put more emphasis on shadowing from now on. Though I like the unshadowy cartoony-look, I like the depth the shadows give it better.

    ReplyDelete