Thursday, October 17, 2013

D-nied



Raine looks so weird when she's not pissed.

So, my wife and I cancelled our cellphones yesterday as Stage One of my plan to drop off the face of the Earth.  In the very near future, when I have time, I'm giving Facebook the axe.  What's more, we haven't had any television in the house besides Netflix and video games for something like 6 years. 

It may be a bad move ditching Facebook, when I'm trying desperately to promote my comic, but in all the years I've used it, it has helped me very little.  The thing with Facebook is it's difficult to reach outside people you actually, personally know, which really defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do.  Stuff like webcomics doesn't flourish on Facebook; meaningless, humorous things that occupy no more than 10 seconds of your time do.

 I'm not telling you this because I want you to think I'm cool.  I'm not a hipster, dammit.  If anything, I'm some kind of proto-hipster.  I'm saying this because I firmly believe that cellphones, television and social media are nothing less than destroying our society, eliminating actual human interaction entirely.  I realize this is ironic, coming from an antisocial person, but just because I don't want to interact with people doesn't mean I don't understand the importance of human interaction.

Truth be told, I probably would interact with people if they were people I liked.  I imagine I would get along rather well in a place like Portland or Seattle.  But my wife isn't keen on the idea of gray skies all the time, and I can't fault her for that.  That kind of thing has to have a hell of an effect on your psyche.  What's more, my parents want to move closer to my sister and I, and I would pretty much be throwing a wrench in their plans if I did that.  Anyway, I'd like to see more of my family, not less of them.
So, isolation it is, and I'm limited to the American southeast.  Yay.  Honestly though, southern people aside, there's a lot of beauty to be found down here.  I've got a good feeling about somewhere outside the Asheville, NC area, close to the mountains.  I think it may have just about everything I'm looking for (besides cheap land).

No comments:

Post a Comment