Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Noh Mercy



I'm going to skip the small talk this week and go right into the bitching.

Yesterday I got a call just after I finished calling my mom on the phone on her birthday.  It was a robo-call from my daughter's principal.  Sometime after noon, shots were heard just outside school property.  They locked down the school, and police showed up and some stuck around campus for the rest of the day.  Everyone's fine.  As far as I know, there aren't any suspects, and cops didn't find anything unusual in the area.

It's important to know that my daughter's school is essentially surrounded by nothing.  There's no reason there should be gunfire anywhere near her school.  Any way I look at this, there's no way to put a positive spin on it.  Maybe it was just a drunken redneck popping of a shot for, I don't know, fun.  Maybe it was an accident, though I can't comprehend why you'd need to bring a gun anywhere near an elementary school in the first place unless you were a cop or a security officer and you worked there.
But maybe, just maybe, it was somebody who thought maybe he'd hurt some kids that day, but had second thoughts at the last minute, but he was so filled with psychotic rage that he had to shoot something that day, so he shot a tree next to the school, or fired a shot into the air.  Maybe next time he won't hesitate.
Maybe I have an overactive imagination.  But I believe, when it comes to children, one should err on the side of caution.

But what it all comes down to is this: I'm tired of guns, and I'm tired of people who like them.  With everything going on in the nation, most especially with how politically polarized we are, I'm tired of trying to see things reasonably.  I'm tired of trying to see all sides of the issues.  I'm done.  I'm so done with all of this.  I'm ready to pick up and leave right now, and go move to some liberal utopia surrounded by organic arugula lettuce and not a single church for as far as the eye can see.
If I can't have that, then I want to be surrounded by no one at all.  I can't spend another day in this vacuous swamp. 




No comments:

Post a Comment