Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Distinct Disadvantage

Here's the skinny:

Super U. may be seeing a change in format.  Facebook has been mostly an utter failure to help me market the comic.  I'm very thankful to the loyal followers I have gained through Facebook, but on average the comic is reaching 100 to 150 people a week, and only a handful of those people are actually clicking on the link or liking, sharing or even reading the comic.  And nobody has joined the actual site since shortly after I started it.

The lesson I've learned is that Facebook is for posting amusing pictures of cats and complaining how much your life sucks, not for marketing.  I had hoped that by putting links up on Facebook each week the comic would reach out beyond my circle of friends and family, but after over 30 strips that just hasn't happened.
Again, though, to those of you who do share it, do like it, and do read it every week, thank you SO much.

But what's next?  I'm going to try my hand at YouTube.  But the comic, as it is now, would be really boring to watch a video of, so it has to change.  Rather than a segmented comic strip, I will be probably creating one image at a time, and then putting together some kind of animatic, probably to music.  I'm even tossing around the idea of doing some voice-acting, and coaxing my wife into it.  Who knows?  At least that's the idea for now.  It if ends up looking promising, I'll likely do away with the Blogspot site entirely.

Roughly, they'll be a bit like this.


What's going to happen is I'm going to finish up the current storyline in the next 6 weeks or so, and then Super U. is going to change.  I won't be making any new material for a long while, because instead I will be going back to the beginning and revamping each strip for a new audience.  So yes, after the storyline wraps up, it will be a long while before anything new comes out.  I know, I'm bummed about that, too.

Anyway, I really like how this week's strip turned out, especially considering I'm still drawing with a DAMN MOUSE.  I should be getting a new tablet in a few days, though.  Found a great deal on one without any bells and whistles, but it does have a larger drawing surface than my old one.


Bringing you pretty girls getting hit in the head with space-rocks since 2012.

6 comments:

  1. Your first strip was in 2011 though.
    So this is the way I find out I'm fired? Or am I still working on Saturday Super Stories, Since I am actually pretty far ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, no. Ideally Super U. should have it's own authentic website outside of Blogspot and Facebook and YouTube and all that. That's where your stories should be, along with the strips / movies. But in the meantime we'll keep putting them here, and I'll keep posting them. At least one of us will be putting out new material.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect opportunity to do Walter's Files on Wednesdays during the hiatus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I'll be hopefully posting the revamped strips instead, until I'm caught up and then can get back to doing new stuff. But if it turns out that it doesn't take me long to redo the strips then maybe I can crank out a Walters File in addition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a dedicated website will help a lot with attracting new readers. I've done it with several of my sites, and I can recommend some other ways of getting traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to hear your ideas, Chris. Shoot me an e-mail when you have time.

    ReplyDelete